CBD for Sleep – Your new nighttime essential?
With the number of sleep aids on the market, finding a good-quality option can be tricky. Having said that, many people now turn to CBD oil for better sleep. They believe it’s a natural way to improve sleep quality, without turning to harmful or addictive chemicals.
Given the current timeline, a natural sleep-aid might not go amiss for most of us. Plus, according to anecdotal evidence, CBD products could come in handy for people with anxiety, insomnia, and chronic pain. But can cannabidiol really improve your sleep quality?
Taking CBD oil for sleep might sound like a novel idea, but it’s not without its advantages. Today, at Greenheart CBD, we’ll tell you all about getting better sleep with the simple addition of cannabidiol.
CBD Oil for Sleep: How Does It Work?
You could experience poor sleep quality due to a variety of reasons. This could be because of:
- Chronic pain. Aches and pains can stop you from slipping onto a deep, restful sleep.
- Excess caffeine consumption. Drinking too much coffee, strong tea, or other caffeine-infused beverages could severely affect your quality of sleep.
- External factors. Sound pollution, light, and general discomfort can make it difficult to fall asleep. This is extremely common if you live in a shared house, have a roommate, or work night shifts.
- Poor mental health, such as anxiety, depression, or PTSD. Anxiety can also lead to insomnia.
- Sleep disorders. These can include sleep apnea, sleep paralysis, and narcolepsy.
But can taking CBD oil improve your quality of sleep? Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that yes, it can. In fact, many people turn to CBD for sleep — in its many forms.
Studies show that CBD could also help with a number of these factors. Therefore, by taking CBD, your REM sleep cycle could improve, leading to better sleep. But what exactly does science say? Does CBD make you sleep better?
Well, we’ll tell you.
The Research Behind Cannabidiol and Sleep
Studies suggest that CBD could, in fact, aid in better sleep. This all comes down to your endocannabinoid system (ECS). Your ECS is responsible for a number of physical functions. However, in terms of sleep, it affects your:
- Sleep quality
- Pain levels
Researchers theorise that the cannabinoids in CBD bind to your ECS, positively affecting these functions. Therefore, using CBD oil could result in better sleep, a reduction in chronic pain, and reduced feelings of anxiety. Furthermore, studies show that CBD could, in fact, positively affect these conditions, leading to better sleep.
A 2019 study explored the relationship between CBD and anxiety. Here, results showed that 66.7% of participants reported improved sleep scores. 79.2% of participants also reported a reduction in anxiety.
In addition to that, people with insomnia experience high cortisol levels at night. Given that cortisol is the stress hormone, this could impede their ability to fall asleep. Research shows that CBD could come in handy here. This study also showed that participants treated with 300 mg and 600 mg of CBD showed a significant decrease in cortisol production.
Additionally, a 2018 review explored the connection between CBD and pain. Results showed that evidence indicates that CBD can, in fact, help with pain management. Therefore, if you’re losing sleep over chronic pain, consider using a broad-spectrum CBD oil.
Earlier, we mentioned that sleep disorders can affect your quality of sleep. So, can CBD help with sleep apnea? While there’s no research on CBD and sleep apnea yet, anecdotal feedback suggests that CBD could play a role in relieving certain symptoms.
What Forms of CBD Can I Use?
The market is awash with CBD products, in different shapes and forms. Because of this, it can be difficult to find the best form of CBD for sleep. However, before we can find the best possible product, we’ll tell you a little more about each option, so you can make an informed decision.
Some of the most popular CBD product options are:
- Edibles: CBD-infused edibles come in a variety of flavours and forms. Choose from gummy bears, baked goods, or chocolate — the choice is yours. Generally, edibles can take longer to kick in, due to their lower bioavailability rate.
- Vape liquid: You might be familiar with CBD-rich vape liquids. Available in a selection of flavour profiles and strengths, this option is fairly popular. However, we’d only recommend it for smokers, or people trying to quit smoking.
- Topicals: From CBD creams and muscle balms to CBD skincare, many people now use CBD topicals in their wellness routines. While some people use CBD creams for muscle pain, we don’t know how effective it would be to improve your sleep quality.
- Oils and tinctures: CBD oils and tinctures make up some of the most popular CBD products. Most CBD-related research focuses on CBD oils and tinctures. Therefore, when it comes to getting better sleep, consider using CBD oil.
The Benefits of Using CBD Oil for Sleep
With the array of CBD oils available in the UK and in Ireland, consider using that for better sleep. After all, at Greenheart CBD, we believe that CBD oil is the best possible product. But what are the benefits of using CBD oil to improve your REM sleep cycle?
Well, we’d recommend that you use CBD oil as it’s extremely discreet. Most CBD oils come in a glass bottle with a dropper. Simply place a few drops under your tongue before swallowing.
There’s no need to fill a vape tank, display a pack of CBD edibles on your desk, or jealously guard your tube of CBD-infused cream. In fact, you can also add your CBD oil to beverages and meals. You might have wondered what time to take CBD for better sleep. Why not add a few drops to your dinner, or to a warm cup of milk before bedtime?
They say that good things come in small packages. This is most certainly true of our selection of CBD tinctures. Each bottle is small enough to fit on your bedside table, so you can take a few drops before drifting off to dreamland.
Furthermore, CBD oils come in a selection of strengths. When it comes to picking a CBD oil, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution — especially for better sleep. Therefore, we’d recommend starting out with a lower dose, before working your way up to a strength that works for you.
CBD oil is also incredibly versatile; in fact, there’s an option for everyone. Choose from natural oil, directly sourced from the hemp plant. You could also opt for a flavoured option, which is far more palatable to some.
Experience the entourage effect with full-spectrum CBD oil. When it comes to taking CBD oil for sleep, the choice is entirely yours!
How Much CBD Oil Should I Take?
You might have heard about CBD from a friend or family member who uses it in their health and wellness routine. However, it’s important to remember that what works for them might not work for you. So, what CBD oil dosage should you take, for better sleep?
This depends on a number of factors, such as:
- Your physical and biological makeup: Your height, weight, and metabolism all contribute to how much CBD oil you should take.
- CBD strength: You’ll have to take into account how strong your CBD oil is, and adjust based on what works for you.
- Method of consumption: When taking CBD oil for sleep, we’d recommend taking it sublingually. However, if you add it to your food or drink, you might need to take a little more, as it has to bypass your system before kicking in.
By now, you’ll know that there’s no exact CBD oil dosage for sleep. However, if you’re a little unsure about adding it to your health and wellness routine, you can always consult your doctor before making the leap. A medical professional should be able to tell you how much CBD to take.
Does CBD oil help you sleep? If we believe the research, then yes, it does. That being said, before we can positively conclude that CBD oil is, in fact, a sleep aid, we need more evidence. Researchers need to test all forms of CBD, across a variety of sleep disorders.
When it comes to CBD and sleep deprivation, consider adding an oil or tincture to your wellness routine. If you’re in the market for a new CBD oil, browse our selection at Greenheart CBD. We make some of the best CBD oil on the market — sourced from organic hemp plants and crafted to perfection.
If you don’t know which to try first, why not treat yourself to our gift box? Containing three CBD oil blends, it’s the perfect way to dip your toes into CBD. It could also help put an end to those sleepless nights!